quarta-feira, 26 de junho de 2013

Why all the need for (this much) blood and gore in movies?

I was reading a couple of reviews for the movie World War Z. I´m not a big fan of the zombie enterprise, and frankly, I believe this hype about zombies is a little annoying and a bit stupid (most of the time, just silly, but sometimes, yeah, it´s a tad stupid). But the movie is here, so I was checking the reviews. 

It seems to me that one of the biggest problems people have with the flick is the absence of blood and gore. 

This one review here says that: 
I’m not saying they should be emulating the Candyland Shootout from Django Unchained, but I swear there was more blood in the scene where Carl Fredricksen hits the construction worker over the head with his cane in Up than there was in whole movie of World War Z. This should not happen.
This is not the second or third time I´ve seen someone criticizing the lack of blood and gore AND violence in this particular movie. This kinda bugs me, and it´s a subject I´ve always meant to discuss here, so I figure I´d take this opportunity. 

Why all the need for this blood and violence on screen? It seems that, whenever I see people asking for such thing, they take the form of bloodthirsty hyenas or monsters of the fiery pits of hell, complete with pitch forks and gaping mouths, smiling with the tongue out and about. Everytime I read stuff like this, it makes me think about that - and all those old timey folk that went to see decapitations and hangings, and just screamed out of their lungs for more. 

Seriously. I think Freud could have a field day with this. Why all this desire, given that, whenever there´s not blood enough, people will go out of their ways to ask about it? 

I understand a little violence. I do. Movies - and stories, for that matter - thrive on conflict. It´s bound to have some pressure and trauma in them. I personally don´t care for it, I take them because it´s the way it is, the way things are, so to speak. Movies will have some blood and some amount of violence in it. That´s fine. But all of a sudden, when did violence and blood (and gore) became the number one requirements for a movie to exist? Even worst, when did they ever became valid complaints for that matter?  

Take a movie like Jurassic Park. I´ll use it here, because everybody knows about it. Now, it´s a movie about dinosaurs set loose in some amusement park gone wrong, in which they eat or try to eat everybody in said park. There will be some violence in the movie. But the movie itself didn´t revolve around violence. It didn´t revel in violence, it was not made only to discuss and display violence (and blood, and gore). In my opinion, that´s why it is, to this day, somewhat of a classic piece of art.

I also am not discussing only the movie World War Z here. I´ve seen and heard demands like this in the past, for other pieces of entertainment. 

I feel that the need to ever increase the amount of bloodiness and gore in movies and entertainment (tv series, and so on) is kinda messed-up. I do not even discuss movies like Saw, or the likes of TV series such as Dexter. I also don´t want to be taken as a purist or a prude, because I believe that there´s space for some violence, but c´mon. Whenever someone complains about the lack of blood in a movie that is already violent (such as World War Z) by definition, I get a little worried.  

It´s not that I don´t think people should be forbidden to see any type of "human expression", they want, whatever the hell that means in this context. It´s just that the amount of violence in what should be called entertainment, is a bit worrying - to my sensibilities at least.

But it seems to me that I´m on to something here. Recently, actor Jim Carrey pulled back from promotional marketing of his recent, yet to be released movie 'Kick-Ass 2', declaring it to be violent. Many people are criticizing his doing it, and there´s all the contracts, and all, and I´m not going into this. Whatever. But in regard of his position on this, I can agree with it. The fact that someone that society tends to hear, declared that a movie is violent. This, I feel, is some kind of progress. It´s not that in or out with Carrey, but I agree with him, 100% on this. Some movies are violent, period. Too violent, even. And they don´t even need to be strictly about violence, such as said Saw, and others. The first installment for 'Kick Ass', for instance, was violent as hell to my taste. It seems that people either can´t or don´t want to create movies that push violence aside. They have to get all the violence they can in a single frame, otherwise they go insane, it seems to me. It´s ludicrous.

Some movies (and entertainment pieces) are too damn violent. And I frankly don´t get all this demand for more. If such is the price for this thin veil of peace that most societies build themselves around, so be it. But I still would prefer that there wasn´t so many instances of violent behavior in entertainment as there are.

And I sure support more movies and pieces of entertainment that know how to stay away from such deliberate gimmick. 

25 comentários:

  1. I would hazard a guess that because people are becoming more and more moronic that only violence can stimulate their brains. Dialogue and plot are too much for their empty heads to contemplate as they demand focus and concentration.

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Right? Always helping the posts here to become more interesting, Karl!

      It´s possible. My guess is somewhere in the ballpark as well.

      Excluir
    2. Another possibility is that they blunt their brains and drain all their juice at their workplaces.

      Leaving no room for any subtlety in entertainment; only the most crass, crude, basal and bestial stimuli have any effect.

      Another side to this is the amount of sexuality in various TV shows.

      It is such a pity that so little of not just people's time, but also their souls is left for fun ... Hope this stimulates Auban to write a poem. =)

      Excluir
    3. INDEED. I feel dead inside right now. Oh, here comes another beer ad to proofread.

      Excluir
  2. The violent movies could possibly serve as a outlet for people to fantasize about their innate disgust and hate for their fellow man? People already slaughter each other, and animals, like its absolutely nothing. People enjoy watching people humiliated, shamed and have their dreams and lives destroyed, whether its on a talent show, or a police program....

    Not stating it as factual, just throwing it out there as a possibility.

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Thanks for your opinion, Anon.

      Yeah.

      You touched upon good points here. People indeed seem to hate each other. It´s subtle - but I think it´s there. Not everybody and all the time, I believe in degrees of friendships, but the majority of the time, yeah. I believe this.

      Excluir
  3. Sup, Shadow! Been awhile. I was having the same thought just recently. My brothers and I saw World War Z in 3D at the local theater. Funny that one of their complaints was exactly the same one you mentioned hearing from others: a lack of graphic depictions of gore. Y'know what else strikes me as odd? That zombie movies have so permeated pop culture, when the majority of human beings are, in fact, existing in a zombie-like trance. Yet, most of them seem to think of themselves as special; somehow worthy of carrying on their genetic legacy. Classic George Romero zombie flicks (as opposed to the "feel good" emo gene sprayer garbage of late) seemed to carry a more poignant recurring theme: "We are them, and they are us."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8QyC81XSaU

    Later

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Garrett, long time indeed.

      I´m no strange to the linkage between zombie like states of mind of this consumerist and moronic humanity of today.

      Also, great reminding - yeah, the Romero movies were deeper - I never actually saw them, but I´ve read an essay about them. Indeed, 'we are them, and they are us'. We just have to go to a crowded shopping mall on to confirm this.

      My first contact with the movie themselves was your link.

      Thanks for the comment, man.

      Excluir
  4. It seems that, whenever I see people asking for it, that they take the form of bloodthirsty hyenas, monsters of the fiery pits of hell, complete with pitch forks and gaping mouths, smiling with the tongue out and about.

    Yeah man! Wish you'd had the time to put up a picture, maybe even a hasty line-picture-line kind of frame in this post! Such behaviour lends itself to be made fun of, though yes, we shouldn't forget that something's seriously wrong.

    I am quite aware of the general phenomenon, of rating violence-free movies / TV shows to be "kiddish", "fantasical /unrealistic", but I just discovered through your post that people brazenly and explicitly demand more violence. Which goes to show that after a few dozen social and several thousand technological revolutions, we're back to the era of gladiators.

    People who picture a utopia with people must take note!

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Srikant, glad you mentioned it. Will see if I post a picture here as well, in the next couple of days.

      Yeah, people actually >>demand<< more, thats what actually bugs me. Is it not enough?

      We´ve come back to gladiator times, indeed!

      =)

      Excluir
  5. Yes,its pretty much Bread and Circuses,keep them stuffed with fake food,and stupified with fake violence. I've found from my own experience (5 years in prison for robbery) violence nullifies all other emotions, and fake violence is a s good as real and just as addictive. The downside for the individual is, that you become as indifferent to the violence committed on you, as that which you witness or perpetrate on others.

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Thanks David, for your contribution. Must have been tough, those times.

      I reckon your take on it is valid and solid. Violence is kind of a 'medicine', when applied by art, entertainment. It dulls the senses, somewhat. Perhaps it´s just the use the media wants out of it.

      Hope you are enjoying the blog.

      Cheers.

      Excluir
  6. People want such things to happen in every movie: they want to see the iceberg sinking the Titanic, they want to see Amon Goeth shooting jews, they want to see soldiers being ripped to shreds on D-Day.

    "This movie is dedicated to the victims of..."

    Dedicate my ass.

    ResponderExcluir
  7. Great discussion topic, Shadow! I too am very bothered by the amount of violence in pop culture.

    It's funny, your description of how you see people who ask for more violence in movies ("bloodthirsty hyenas or monsters of the fiery pits of hell, complete with pitch forks and gaping mouths") is how I see people in general. Human beings are really just monsters with a thin veneer of decency (and some of don't even have that).

    In fact, I'm always surprised when people say things like "I never thought x person could do y horrible thing!" I always think: really, do you have any knowledge of history? Do you pay any attention to the inequality and unfairness of people's actions on a daily basis? If so, I don't see how anyone's actions could surprise you.

    I'm literally not surprised by anything anymore. Human beings have done, do, and will do anything. Period. Full stop.

    The fact that people will pay to go watch a torture movie like 'Saw' and that there was enough interest to make FIVE of them tells us everything we need to know about our species.

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. I think so too. Movies like "Saw" really get me thinking what the hell is up with humanity. Not satisfied of finding violence in history and daily facts, they search for more in their entertainment.

      Right on, chickpositive.

      Excluir
  8. Human nature never changes. It's just warped beyond redemption. It used to be gladiators for the Roman's entertainment. I don't really mind violence in movies so long as it doesn't lead to the violence being "acted out" in real life. It's much better to have a world where people can have their urges to see blood and gore fulfilled by watching a movie rather than returning to something like the gladiators. However I do feel that the world is headed for a return to forced "games" like gladiatorial games. People are so entertained by reality tv because they like seeing people "ripped apart" emotionally, degraded and humiliated. This really is no different than the spirit of those spectators who got a thrill from seeing slaves ripped apart by lions in the ancient times. Of course today we still have the appalling bullfights occuring in Spain. It's just bloodlust engrained into the human psyche. The only solution is a permanenent end to our monstrous race, let God start over and create a race more worthy than this.

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Right on. It would be awesome if violence were only to be found in movies. But then again, the human race is done, I agree.

      Cheers

      Excluir
    2. Better still, let there be a permanent end. And let sentience never ever start again.

      Excluir
  9. Well, I don't crave more blood in films. I'd like to see much less of it (in general). In fact I don't watch many Hollywood movies anymore. But I don't think the main problem is the violence in-it-self. The problem lies in the glorification.

    In contrast I've just finished watching Der freie Wille (2006) /the free will/ which is a three hour movie about a rapist struggling with his inner demons played skillfully by Jürgen Vogel and directed by Matthias Glasner . There is a long --> realistic <-- rape scene in the beginning. A very clumsy brutal rape. This film made a lasting impression on our bodies. Unfortunately I think the non-european (US) version got censored. I think there is a time and place for everything.

    /Michael

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Thanks Michael, for your comment on this one! =)

      Excluir
  10. And a link to the trailer by the way
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SqDTBazZz0M&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DSqDTBazZz0M

    ResponderExcluir
  11. Human being as it is, is a repressed beast: we would rape, beat other things; we would eat without remorse, waste everithing, and doing that naked and without any kind of second thought. There are, however, people who want to have control on their fellows, and thus civilization was invented. To have control, you must constrain impulses (of others, of course). But those impulses will still exist, so we need to let them flow. We would rape an fuck? Then we have sex, nudity and volgarity on shows and arts. We would maim and maul? Then we crave for violence. And so on...
    Doctor M.

    ResponderExcluir
    Respostas
    1. Yeah. Pretty much nails it, Doc.

      Cheers =)

      Excluir
  12. I would suggest the listening of this piece, with lyrics.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJ6yRs1JYY
    Doctor M.

    ResponderExcluir

Please, make sure your comment fits with the overall theme of the post. Don´t be rude or offensive towards others without reason - though everyone is free to be vocal, overly offensive comments may be altered/deleted.